Introducing a monthly gathering for all swimmers. The Breakfast Club is a celebration of swimming, the ocean, laughter and the company of swimmers. Topped off with a shared breakfast and hot drink included after a coached swim session; what more can you want?
Mermaids and Mermen from near and far are all welcome to celebrate the beauty of swimming in the ocean.
The cost is $40 for members of Swimming Mermaid Association and $50 for non members. Non members are welcome to join the association to benefit from the reduced rate.
Who can come
You may be visiting the region, live locally or be a regular mermaid or merman. As long as you can swim in the open water and tolerate the water temperature you are welcome. Bring your family, your friends or come alone, you won’t be without friends for long. Swimmers must be capable of swimming 400m in the ocean without stopping and have suitable swim gear and/or cold water tolerance to swim in 17 degree water temperature for 45 minutes.
What we’ll do
We will begin each session with introductions, to each other, to the weather, surf and safety conditions, and to your breakfast choices. The post swim breakfast, cuppa and chatter is just as important after all! Following a dry land warm up you will enjoy a coached open water swim class, for 45 minutes guaranteed to get your heart rate up.
Breakfast and drinks are pre ordered before the class starts so we don’t have to stand in line to order or wait too long once we hop out. There will be three breakfast choices fresh from the White Elephant kitchen;
Brekkie burger/vego brekkie burger (gfo)
Eggs on toast- scrambled,fried or poached, with bacon/avo (gfo)
The drink options are:
Coffee; Cappuccino, Flat white or Latte
English breakfast tea
The class will be run around a course marked by buoys in the ocean, and sessions will be conducted close to shore. Water safety will be provided.
* We want everyone to feel welcome and safe during this class. We ask you to ensure you are capable of swimming 400m in the ocean without stopping and have suitable swim gear to stay warm in 16 degree water temperature. Faster swimmers will be alongside slower swimmers so we request all swimmers to take care, avoid collisions, and look out for each other. This class is for fun, fitness and friendship; not cattle stations or the Olympics.
What to bring?
- You and your sense of fun
- Your bathers, goggles swim caps (wearing 2 will keep you warmer)
- Warm clothes for pre and post swim
- Neoprene of choice, or you can hire a wetsuit from us for $10
- Extra layers for keeping warm post swim, beanie, gloves etc
- Top tip: wrap a hot water bottle around your towel as you swim or fill a milk bottle with hot water for a slightly warmer shower once you finish.
- Changing rooms and cold showers are available at the White Elephant.
The cold putting you off? We have a selection of wetsuits available that you can hire. Mostly they are surfing wetsuits rather than swimming wetsuits, however they will keep away the chill and help you decide if you want to buy a swim wetsuit yourself, or perhaps tide you over until your wetsuit arrives. The cost is $10 per suit per session. Book your suit here and we will bring it on the morning.
If the weather is deemed too dangerous the class will be cancelled and money will be refunded or can be held in credit for a future Breakfast Club Swim. The cost is $40 for members of Swimming Mermaid Association and $50 for non members. Non members are welcome to join the association to benefit from the reduced rate.
If this sounds like your idea of a fab start to the weekend you can book here.